Prelim Task

AS Opening Sequence

Monday 9 November 2009

Research into chosen Genre ...Why is it so important?

During Fridays lesson we was asked to research the genre we had picked for our movie. Mine was drama so I had to look at films such as "my sisters keeper" and "slumdog millionaire". The point of the task was to compare the mise en scene , and to look at how the directors had opened the film. This was important as we would be shooting the first few scenes for our movie in the upcoming weeks. When looking at "my sisters keeper" I noticed that it had a very soft approach in the first screens in the movie. You see a family playing together , everything seems happy until we cut away to the terminally ill sister. This had a massive effect on me as you are shown what seems to be a perfect happy family until you realise the true extent of what the family have to deal with. The director makes places you in a comfort zone then takes you away to a shot which the audience may find hard to deal with. This is why the opening scene is so effective , because it takes the audience out of their comfort zone. This is important as it make it unique and it also shows me why it is so important to start your movie in a way which will shock your audience. It was vital that i picked up on the different techniques the director used as I may be able to use some when making my opening sequence. When going through the different movies I noticed that all the dirctors tried to grab the audiences attention in the first few scenes . so I am going to make sure I do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment